Lake Oswego dentist offers tips for good oral hygiene and maintaining healthy smiles
We all want beautiful, healthy smiles. Not only does a healthy smile affect your physical appearance, but it also impacts your overall health and wellness. Located in Lake Oswego, Japanese dentist Dr. Manami Yamaguchi and the team at Dental Arts and Wellness educate patients with tips for good oral hygiene and maintaining healthy smiles.
Tips for good oral hygiene and healthy smiles
Keeping your smile healthy requires teamwork. Your dentist and hygienist work with you to maintain the health of your mouth and gums. As the patient, you are responsible for following good oral habits at home. Proper oral habits include the following:
- Brush your teeth two times per day. Ideally, you would brush after every snack or meal, but that is not always possible. Brushing in the morning and at night is enough. This removes plaque and bacteria that builds up over the course of the day. Brush for two minutes per session and use a brush that is small enough to comfortably fit into all corners of the mouth.
- Floss daily. Flossing removes food particles that may be stuck between the teeth.
- Rinse your teeth. Even with the best brushing and flossing, there are still hard-to-reach areas. Rinsing with an oral irrigator or mouthwash helps remove bacteria from these areas.
- Clean the tongue. The tongue can harbor bacteria and food particles. Not only does cleaning the tongue daily get rid of these items, but it also helps freshen the breath and get rid of unwanted odors. A tongue scraping tool, or the scraper built onto the back of your toothbrush will work.
- Avoid eating midnight snacks. Eating after you have already brushed and flossed for the night defeats the purpose of cleaning your teeth the first time. The foods and drinks you consume sit on your teeth overnight allowing bacteria to thrive. If you do have an evening snack, brush your teeth again before going back to bed.
- Replace your toothbrush or toothbrush head every three to six months. Using a toothbrush with broken or bent bristles results in ineffective brushing. The teeth cannot be properly cleaned.
- Go to the dentist regularly. Routine dental visits are usually scheduled every six months to keep your mouth healthy. Even perfect oral care at home does not compare to a professional cleaning to remove tartar and bacteria. Also, if issues do arise, they can be diagnosed and treated efficiently and effectively rather than escalating.
Maintaining healthy smiles
Regular dental appointments are crucial for your oral health. During routine appointments, your hygienist uses specialized instruments to clean and polish the teeth. Brushing at home can miss plaque which then hardens into tartar that is difficult to remove. Food stains become embedded into the teeth. Our special ultrasonic cleaning system gently, but effectively, removes tartar and stains from the teeth and hard-to-reach areas. Tartar and bacteria accumulate between dental visits. The deep cleaning with the hygienist removes the bacteria to keep it from spreading.
The purpose of general dentistry is to prevent, detect, and treat oral health issues. Routine cleanings are part of general dentistry services. These appointments are not only for cleaning the teeth. The teeth, gums, and jaw are assessed for potential problems. X-rays may be taken to check the underlying structures of the mouth. Among other issues, your dentist checks for signs of decay, cavities, bone loss, and periodontal disease.
Preserving the health of your teeth and gums is your dentist’s goal. Routine examinations help achieve that goal. It is important to keep your appointments. The appointments are specifically spaced to ensure that if problems arise, they are small and easily handled. Dental exams allow the dentist to detect potential issues early. The earlier problems are diagnosed, the better the outlook. Your dental team’s efforts and your personal home oral health regimen help keep your mouth healthy.
Even with the best care, problems may arise. When that happens, restorative dental services are necessary. Trauma, illness, decay, and age increase the changes of dental problems. Restorative practices correct issues to maintain the balance of your mouth. Our team offers comprehensive holistic, restorative, and cosmetic dental care to keep your smile beautiful.
Back to Hygiene Services Page