Lake Oswego, OR dentist offers professional teeth whitening tips
The foods and drinks we consume affect our teeth. Coffee, tea, wine, and tobacco products can cause the teeth to turn yellow or become discolored. Cosmetic dentistry is a simple way to treat the discoloration and to dramatically enhance the smile. Located in Lake Oswego, OR, Dr. Manami Yamaguchi and the team at Dental Arts & Wellness offer professional teeth whitening to give patients brighter smiles.
Professional teeth whitening effectively transforms the smile and boosts the patient’s confidence. When whitening is performed by a dental professional, patients achieve whiter, brighter smiles in an efficient manner. Deciding to improve the smile is a personal decision. Choosing professional whitening treatments and following tips from the dentist helps ensure an optimal outcome and prolongs the results.
Why choose professional whitening
Whitening your teeth with a dental professional is a step towards a healthier smile. But white does not always equal healthy, which is why it is important to see a dentist first. Before the teeth are whitened, a professional cleaning allows the dental team to assess your teeth for any issues such as decay or gum disease. An examination also helps determine if there are issues such as dental restorations that may interfere with the whitening process. Then, Dr. Yamaguchi can determine the most appropriate whitening procedure for you.
Professional teeth whitening is a safe, effective cosmetic dental treatment. Whether you choose in-office whitening or a professional at-home kit, the treatment is performed under the guidance of your dental team. Issues are caught and addressed to keep your mouth healthy. The quality of the professional whitening product is superior to over-the-counter products. Patients achieve faster, more dramatic results.
Dr. Yamaguchi offers in-office and at-home whitening. During in-office procedures, the teeth are whitened in a single appointment using the highest quality products. The cheeks and gums are protected before a bleaching agent is applied to the teeth. During the procedure, patients can relax with a book or music. When the treatment is finished, the whitening agent is rinsed off and the patient leaves the office with a whiter smile.
At-home whitening treatments can be done at home, at work, or in the car. The product is worn for a short period of time each day until the desired level of whiteness is achieved. This treatment offers patients the convenience and freedom to whiten on their own schedules but with a professional quality product. The product can also help maintain a brilliant smile over time with touch-up treatments if the teeth start to become yellowed or stained again.
Teeth whitening tips
Professional teeth whitening helps patients look younger and keeps their smiles beautiful. Adhering to the dentist’s instructions and the following tips helps patients achieve the best results.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned first. Plaque and tartar build up on the teeth, creating a yellow coating or surface stains. A dental hygienist uses specialized tools to remove tartar from the teeth and from hard-to-reach areas. Clean teeth absorb the whitening agent more easily, making the treatment more effective.
- Choose professional whitening treatments. Commercial whitening products are readily available, but are lower quality. Professional-grade treatments from a dental professional produce more dramatic results and the dentist can help you adjust your treatment plan as needed, such as if you develop tooth sensitivity.
- Avoid dark-colored foods and drinks that cause staining. Coffee, tea, wine, tomato products, and tobacco cause discoloration of the teeth. The first few days after whitening, the teeth are more susceptible to new stains. Try to avoid or minimize the use of these items or other deeply pigmented foods and beverages for the first few days after your treatment.
- Ask about maintenance treatments. Maintaining a white smile takes work, especially for patients who regularly consume stain-causing foods and drinks. Touch-up treatments or home-based whitening keeps your smile bright.
- Maintain a good oral health regimen. Brushing and flossing not only keep your teeth and gums healthy, but they also remove stains and bacteria that are on and between the teeth.
- Rinse your teeth. Not everyone has time to brush after every meal. However, simply rinsing the teeth after eating or drinking helps remove stain-causing products and preserves a white smile.
Dr. Yamaguchi offers a variety of cosmetic dental services to give patients the winning smiles they deserve. She provides customized treatment plans to suit each patient’s needs and goals. To learn more about professional teeth whitening and our other cosmetic services, contact Dental Arts & Wellness in Lake Oswego, OR to schedule your appointment with Dr. Yamaguchi. Call 503 603-0700.
Back to Cosmetic Dentistry Page